Articles & Books
This is a compilation of media, books and articles that may be of interest to BSSP participants. Please email us at bssp(a)umontana.edu if you would like to suggest an item that should be included here.
DVDs relevant to the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes
- Beaver Steals Fire, 2005 Confederate Salish and Kootenai Tribes
- Finding Common Ground, 2007 Confederate and Salish and Kootenai Tribes
- Fire on the Land, 2005 Confederate Salish and Kootenai Tribes
Books relevant to the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes
- Beaver Steals Fire, told by Johnny Arlee, Tribal elder from the Confederate Salish and Kootenai Tribes, 2005, University of Nebraska Press
- In the Name of the Salish & Kootenai Nation, edited Robert Bigart and Clarence Woodcock, 1996, Salish Kootenai College Press
- Ktunaxa Legends, Kootenai Culture Committee, 1997, Salish Kootenai College Press
- Ksanka ‘A Ktukaqwum Kootenai Dictionary, Kootenai Culture Committee, 1999, Confederate and Salish and Kootenia Tribes
- Over a Century of Moving to the Drum, Johnny Arlee, 1998, Salish Kootenai College Press
- The Salish People and the Lewis and Clark Expedition, Salish-Pend d’Oreille Culture Committee and Elders Culture Advisory Council Confederate Salish and Kootenai Tribes, 2005, University of Nebraska Press.
Other books on Indigenous culture, science, and worldview
- A Yupiaq Worldview, A. Oscar Kawagley, 1995, Waveland Press Inc.
- Igniting the Sparkle, Gregory A. Cajete, 1999, Kivaki Press
- Look to the Mountain, Gregory Cajete, 1994, Kivaki Press
- Native Science Natural Laws of Interdependence, Gregory Cajete, 2000, Clear Light Publishers.
- Next Steps Research and Practice to Advance Indian Education, Karen Gayton Swisher and John W. Tippeconnic III, 1999, Clearinghouse on Rural Education and Small Schools
- Power and Place Indian Education in America, Vine Deloria, Jr. and Daniel R. Wildcat, 2001, Fulcrum Resources
Books about local geology:
- Glacial Lake Missoula and Its Humongous Floods, David Alt, 2001, Mountain Press Publishing Company
- Northwest Exposures - A Geological Story of the Northwest, David Alt and Donald W. Hyndman, 1995, Mountain Press Publishing Company
U.S. History Books
- People’s History of the United States: 1492 to Present, 1st edition, Howard Zinn, 2003, Harper and Row
- Lies My Teachers Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong, revised and updated edition, James W. Loewen, 2004, New Press
- Nasa Native Earth System Science Curriculum Project: Salish Kootenai College Indigenous Math and Science Institute, 2003
- Culturally Competent Standards Based Math and Science Lessons: Julie Cajune, Naida Lefthand, and Gina Sievert