Dr. Bret Tobalske
Associate Professor and Director
TEL: (406) 243-6631
Field Research Station at Fort Missoula
The Field Research Station at Fort Missoula is a facility within the Division of Biological Sciences at the University of Montana. The station is 8 km from the main campus, approximately 15 minutes driving or 30 minutes bicycling. The land and main building are part of a historical district at Fort Missoula. The Fort was used by the U.S. Army from 1877 through 1947 and portions were donated to the university shortly thereafter. The main building at the field station, a former Quartermaster’s stable built in 1910, as well as approximately 100 ha of land, was made available to the Division of Biological Sciences in 1999. The university provided $1.4 million for two phases of building renovation and further development of the land. The first phase was completed in 1999, and the second was completed in 2008. Indoors, the main building now consists of 1100 m2 (12,000 sq. ft) of fully-modernized space with 10 laboratories, 8 offices, 6 rooms for animal housing, a surgical procedure room, two environmental rooms, a seminar room, a 50-person conference center and a library. Outdoor resources include a three-season greenhouse and four aviaries, each 92 sq. meters (1000 sq. ft), approximately 60 ha of fields surrounding the main building and 40 ha of old-growth ponderosa pine (Pinus ponderosa) bottomland forest situated on the Bitteroot river and within easy walking distance.