Graduate Program Admissions
Thank you for your interest in earning your M.A. or Ph.D. in history at the University of Montana. We look forward to receiving your application!
Prospective graduate students should apply for admission through Graduate School Admissions.
In addition to the application materials required by the Graduate School, the Department of History also requires:
- GRE scores with a test date that is within the past five years OR verifiable GRE scores if the test date is over five years old.
- The TOEFL, IELTS, or MELAB are also required of international applicants and can substitute for the GRE.
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation.
- A Statement of Purpose (2-3 pages) describing your background, research interests, professional goals, and reasons for choosing the Department of History at the University of Montana.
- A writing sample (preferably a substantial piece of historical writing based on original research).
International students should see the International Student Admission section of the Graduate School web site.
Application Deadlines for the History Department
Deadline for Ph.D. - Complete application packet must be received by February 1. All applications received by February 1 will be considered for teaching assistantships, fellowships, scholarships, and internships, as available.
Deadline for M.A. - If applying for teaching assistantships, fellowships, scholarships, or internships, complete application packet must be received by February 1. Otherwise, complete application packet must be received by March 15.
Please mail "Additional Application Materials" to this address:Graduate Admissions Coordinator
The University of Montana
Liberal Arts Building, Room 256
32 Campus Drive #6264
Missoula, MT 59812-6264
For further information contact Professor Jeff Wiltse, Co-Chair of the Graduate Committee.